Before I really start to go forth with the countries themselves, I've decided that religion needs to be worked on, so that I can weave it into the fabric of these nations.
So far, the gist of what I have is thus:
- A pantheon of colour-themed gods based on elements of nature or something
- Dragon worship, because dragons
- Animistic Nodric or Elemental Paganism-y things
- The Elves and their Empress
- Some sort of 'Sky God', light based clerics and stuff
- Kraken (or other sea-god) worship
- And of course, this new-fangled fashion called Atheism
I've decided that Religions are going to be the traditionalistic approach to magic. Magic-as-a-science is the emerging secular counterpart.